Tuesday 12 April 2011

Happy Feet vs. Surf's Up

Originally published on: 20/03/2011


No, this is NOT a rational, step-by-step, relatively unbiased comparison and analysis of the two films.

When Happy Feet was out in the theatres, dozens of my friends were raving about it – “You haven’t watched it yet? You should, it’s really really cute”. It ran successfully for several weeks, but I watched it much later after borrowing it from a friend.

Surf’s Up came out not too long after, but no one I knew had watched it, and in a couple of weeks it had disappeared from cinema halls. I only watched it because it happened to be showing on the television when I was at my uncle and aunt’s place.

My reaction to Happy Feet:

And when anyone talks about Happy Feet…

I’m not saying it was a bad film. It was quite cute, there was a lot of singing, and the Mexican penguins were hilarious. It just wasn’t nearly as great as I expected it to be. It’s definitely in the bottom half of my list of animated films in descending order of preference.

My reaction to Surf’s Up:

This is me (although I don’t look anything like this) when anyone mentions anything related to Surf’s Up

Really though, that film is so underrated. It has great animation, amazing visual effects, funny humour, adorable characters, and an interesting storyline in the form of a mockumentary. It left me feeling oh so happy!

I found that a lot of blogs put up links, so I’m guessing (or hoping) it’s not illegal and that I won’t get sued for attaching one. I thought I ought to, to make up for my immature and unimaginative drawings (and I don’t look like myself even in a single picture)

Surf’s Up trailer:

I might as well put in the Happy Feet trailer too:

Basically, what I’m trying to say is, watch Happy Feet if you want to, but do make sure you watch Surf”s Up!

No comments:

Post a Comment