Saturday 25 June 2011

"Inane musical melodrama" vs. "heartwarming fairy-tale"

"The music is all around us; all you have to do is listen." 
That has to be one of the loveliest movie quotes ever. Watched August Rush today and wondered why I didn't do it years ago. The story may be extremely implausible and filled with coincidences, especially at the end, but like I always say, what's the point of making films if they aren't sometimes a little different from real life? Sure, it's predictable, but there's got to be something good there if it keeps you watching when you know how it's going to end.

Freddie Highmore plays protagonist - a musical prodigy who won't stop believing that following the music will somehow lead him to his parents - and looks absolutely adorable. The film has some beautiful shots, cute Jonathan Rhys Meyers, cute other-guy-who-was-in-The-Back-up-Plan-whose-name-I-don't-remember, cute little black girl whose name I don't know, and Robin Williams. Then of course, there's the glorious uplifting music and the general feel good factor.


Surprisingly, from what I've seen of the reviews, most people hated it! This is more true of critics than of general audiences, though. Most of them simply have a problem with it being too sweet, like this one
You'll have to swallow this gooey confection whole or spit it out after the first couple of bites.
Lawrence Toppman, Charlotte Observer
Yeah. There are several reviews like this one. Come on, it's supposed to be that way! I've never seen anyone give Inglourious Basterds a bad rating for being too gory. IG was a good movie, so I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it; I just think it's a little disturbing that people find an excess of gore more appealing than excessive sweetness. Here's one that sounds both grand and unflattering at the same time.
Feels like the cinematic equivalent of being stuffed with fruitcake and doused with a gallon of egg nog, so if that's the sort of thing you go in for  around the holidays...
Carina Chocano, Los Angeles Times 
I applaud the creative description, but there's nothing else I can say in response to that. I like this one:
If you approach it with the right attitude, it's impossible not to be moved by this tale of music, loss, and passion.
 Brian Tallerico, The Deadbolt 
That's what I'm talking about! Here's a similar one which sums it up perfectly (and in beautiful words):
Will not be for everyone, but it works if you surrender to its lilting and unabashedly sentimental tale of evocative music and visual poetry. 
Claudia Puig, USA Today
To me, the film was, simply put, beautiful and inspiring. Time to wipe the dust off my keyboard and violin case, and see what I can do.   

As for the people who hated the film for flimsy reasons, all I can say is, they're clearly not listening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment