Thursday 18 May 2017

On Books


I've always loved reading, and I've always been happy to share my books with others. But borrowing from me comes with a set of rules:


I've been this way since I was about ten (if not younger). No, I'm not kidding. Yes, I was serious about the sanctity of paperback spines even as a kid. It happened after I looked closely at an uncle's bookshelf and noticed that the books were in mint condition even though he'd read them all.

Now there are some people who have this idea that "books should look like they've been read/ used". On the surface, this seems fine to me, since a book I've picked up looks the same after I've read it. I mean, all these books look read to me:

Needed an excuse to put up a photo of the loveliest library I've ever been in.

But what these monsters mean is that books need to look like they've been mutilated and have gone through some kind of hell. What a ridiculous notion!


One of the best things about Jess from Gilmore Girls (besides the fact that he's played by Milo Ventimiglia) is that he reads. Unfortunately, he seems to be on Team "Used"Books. He rolls up books to carry in his pocket. He creases the spines. He even writes in other people's books.

Come on, that's not how you're supposed to hold a book!!

Get a notebook! I didn't even make notes in my nicer textbooks in school. Sure, I drew all over my Little Miss Plump, but I was a wee kid and any blank space was a canvas.

I wonder if this ridiculous notion applies to other things they use. I always get a few kicks out of imagining these people mishandling their preciousss cellphones.
Does this look used enough? Why don't you chip the edges a little more and throw it into a bucket of water so it looks more used?

Please handle books with some respect, people. Don't scribble, tear, stretch, fold, add saliva, and so on. And please, PLEASE don't do this:

You don't even need a bookmark; just use any smallish object with a flat surface, like a cellphone.

You can have your book (in a decent state) and read it too. It's really not that hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment