Monday 23 May 2011

Chronicles of a Death Foretold - Best Synopsis Ever - Part III (The Aftermath)

I decided not to draw too many pictures here because I'm sick of this story and this is the less important part and it's not like anyone cares much. I'll make this quick.
An autopsy is done on Santiago Nasar's body. It's a huge deal but turns out to serve absolutely no purpose. The Vicario brothers spend some time in jail before being tried, and then they are let off.

Hortensia Baute (the woman who thought she saw blood on the knives much before the murder took place) goes mad and runs down the street naked. So random, and strangely funny.
Like Archimedes, but not that enlightened. Or maybe more enlightened, because she saw something before it happened?

Clotilde Armenta's 86 year old husband Don Rogelio de la Flor sees the pieces of Nasar's body and does not survive the shock. (He dies.)
Yes, I know he doesn't look 86. That's because, as the book says, he was "a marvel of vitality" and I forgot how old he was while drawing.  

Bayardo San Roman comes back to Angela, after she spends like half her lifetime writing him a letter every week. The book is filled with jobless people, I tell you!

And finally, the narrator comes back to the village 27 years after the incident, collects bits and pieces of information about the events of that Monday morning from everyone, puts them together in the same haphazard way, and writes a chronicle.

Also, he meets Angela somewhere in the towns of Guajira four years before this (that's 23 years after the incident). She's sitting at a machine doing embroidery (but I drew her knitting, simply because I wanted to) like a sweet old woman. Except she's not, because no one ever found any proof that Santiago Nasar was guilty of what he was accused of, and when her cousin asks what really happened, this is what she says, in her usual cool, rehearsed manner:
So wait, it's quite likely that she got her brothers to kill the wrong guy?!? Go figure!

I'm finally done with this, so I can say it: I now hate everything to do with this book, and I never want to see or hear about it ever again. 

2 comments:

  1. "I never want to see or hear about it ever again." Word man -______-

    ReplyDelete
  2. doing this book now in 2019 and whaddaya know, this synopsis is still gold :)

    ReplyDelete