Monday 11 July 2016

Coffee and Tea


There used to be a time when I couldn't tell the difference between tea and coffee. It was many years ago, but still rather inexcusable, especially for someone whose parents make tea everyday. I blame the ignorance partially on the way most places disguise both drinks with a lot of milk and sugar and partially on the fact that I was young and stupid.

I don't have a story about my first cup of coffee; in fact, I don't even remember when and where I began drinking it, but I'm certain it was milk coffee with sugar. Once I was somehow able to tell it apart from tea, it wasn't long before I looked upon it with reverence. I'd grown up drinking milk while the grown-ups drank tea (without milk and sugar, of course) so coffee was quite the novelty.



Coffee became my drink of choice, transmogrifying from sweet and milky to bitter and black. It wasn't long before I'd completely turned my back on tea. However, things change. For a while, coffee was the most fascinating thing in the world. But then something happened - so sneakily that I didn't even realize at first (or maybe I just didn't want to believe it). It may have simply been a period of bad coffee, but my body seemed to be rejecting it, so I turned to tea who was just waiting to step in and save the day(s).


That revelation might have been the effect of all the coffee in my system. I had a friend tell me once that there was "too much blood in your caffeine system". However, I was convinced that my Assamese roots were taking over and punishing me for straying from my natural path, so I decided to make up for lost time.

I found I really enjoyed tea. So much that I didn't even miss coffee for a while. Oh, and all you people hating on green tea must know this: green tea is NOT what you get in those awful tea bags people use because they're trying to lose weight. In fact, I'm not sure those have tea in them at all. I suspect it's tea-scented sawdust. Anyway, it's just tasteless marketing.
Green tea is beautiful, and drinking it is a sublime experience. Try it. Can't guarantee you'll love it, especially if you're a sweet milk tea person, but I can promise it's fragrant and flavourful and not hate-worthy at all.


Most people are firm about their identities as tea drinkers or coffee drinkers, and both sides will try to convince you that their drink is undoubtedly better. If we're talking sweet and milky, I'm Switzerland - neutral because I dislike both. But if it's just a general coffee versus tea debate, I'll most likely side with the minority to balance it out a little.

Truth is, I need both. Strong coffee in the morning, light tea through the rest of the day. If I seem more excited at the mention of coffee, it's only because finding coffee the way I like it seems much easier here than finding good tea.

Coffee is infatuation. Tea is love. Both are wonderful.

6 comments:

  1. Absolutely brilliant ! God are we twins seprated by time and space ? This is my story too but well not exactly because my roots .. are in the sun ,sand and jasmine flowers of the coast yet my love for tea ... without milk and sugar is deep and grew exponetially so organically that one did not realise when and how ! Maybe in another life time I belonged to the land of Teavana and I was destined to find the man of my dreams if I vowed to drink Jasmine tea !
    Wake up Aru .... hey where is my cuppa ?
    Seriously .. I did have a fleeting crush on coffee but well one outgrows infactuations right ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose we are :)
      Well, coffee is an infatuation I don't think I'll ever outgrow. Will always drink it, but in small strong doses.

      Delete
  2. Too good. It's difficult to choose one favorite. @home its tea usually and black coffee when i need caffine badly. Irish coffee my all time favorite when i go out. But at the end i can't live without both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Good to know there are other people who love both drinks :)

      Delete
  3. Couldn't agree with you more ! Need either of them, depending on the moods. Cheers !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! *raises mug of tea. Or is it coffee?* ;)

      Delete